Reduction mammoplasty or better known as: Breast reduction.
When the breast grows too much and more when it does so in a short time, the force of gravity does its job and this breast with so much material ends up falling more than normal. Discomfort, back pain, and other factors make many women decide to undergo breast reduction.
The objective is not only aesthetic, but also functional, since by reducing weight and breast volume, it will be possible to correct back and shoulder pain, as well as forward posture of the patients and problems related to voluminous breasts.
This surgery raises the self-esteem of the patient, by allowing them to wear tight clothing, showing off a smaller bust.
The reduction consists of eliminating fat, tissue and excess skin from the enlarged and sagging breasts, seeking to dry out the excess tissue or reaffirm the existing one, trying to preserve the circulation of the areola-nipple complex in its upward movement and forming a kind of new bra .
In cases of reaffirmation of the bust and when it has lost much of its tissue and it is advisable to accompany this with a breast prosthesis. in cases where the breasts are very voluminous, or have lost their firmness, due to weight changes or lactation, and they are always accompanied by the descent of the areola-nipple complex.
Before deciding to undergo such a procedure, it should be determined that:
- The chest has stopped growing.
- There are no hormonal problems causing growth.
- There are no lumps in the chest.
- If the patient has had breast surgery before
- if there is any infection in the chest.
Many women who undergo this procedure are concerned about the excessive volume of their breasts that interferes with many activities and causes physical discomfort. In most cases it is waited until the breast has fully developed, although it can be done earlier if the physical problems are very important.
This is an intervention that is generally performed to cover two types of needs, both aesthetic and purely physical, since excessive breasts improve their appearance with reduction and the body has to work less forcefully to free itself from the excess weight.
You are a good candidate for breast reduction surgery if you have one or more of the following conditions:
- Bust too large in proportion to your body constitution.
- Heavy, drooping bust with downward-pointing areolas and nipples.
- One breast is larger than the other.
- Back, neck or shoulder pain caused by the overweight of the bust.
- Irritation of the skin below the bust.
- Sag marks on the skin on your shoulders from the bra straps.
- Limitation of physical activities due to the size and weight of the bust.
- Disagreement with bust size.
- Recurrent eruptions under the breasts.
- Chronic nerve problems caused by poor posture, causing numbness or tingling in the arms and hands.
- Stretch marks on the breasts.
- Respiratory problems.
- Recurrent breast cyst infections.
The best solution to know if you are a good candidate for a breast reduction is to consult with a surgeon, who will evaluate the size and shape of the breasts and the general state of health. The different surgical techniques will be explained, the size and shape of the breasts after the operation will be discussed and all the procedures that are best for you. He will also explain what type of anesthesia will be used and the need or not to enter the clinic where the surgery will be performed. Some of the information that you should tell your surgeon is whether or not you are a smoker, the number of previous pregnancies and whether it is in your mind to become pregnant again or to breastfeed.
What is the price of a breast reduction in Guadalajara?
From the valuation you can create a budget; Remember that it is important to always leave your health in the hands of a certified doctor like Dr. Lázaro Cárdenas.
The cost ranges from 40 thousand pesos to 70 thousand pesos with a certified doctor, as is the case of Dr. Lázaro Cárdenas Camarena, for a more exact cost we invite you to call (33) 39445175 or visit us at Av. Verona Nº 7412 in Zapopan, Jalisco or write to our email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to give you a quote.
What are the benefits?
- Breast reduction brings physical and psychological benefits. It is one of the plastic surgeries that has the greatest impact on the physical appearance of the patient.
- The main benefit is getting smaller, lighter and firmer breasts, proportionate to the rest of the body and symmetrical with each other.
- In addition, this intervention puts an end to indentations caused by bra straps, excessive sweating and skin rashes that can arise under the breasts.
- With breast reduction, the center of gravity is lowered and, therefore, the need to maintain constant muscle tension in the neck and back.
- This helps improve the patient’s flexibility and posture. Reduction mammoplasty also facilitates the practice of physical activities that many patients used to avoid due to physical discomfort.
- A substantial improvement in lung ventilation is achieved, especially with regard to breathing problems during sleep.
- A very large breast can condition social and professional relationships. After the intervention, the patient will no longer have to endure sexist looks and comments related to her breast size; a problem that is accentuated during adolescence.
- Excessive breast growth can lead the patient to eat more than necessary to reduce the disproportion between her upper and lower body. In addition, removing a significant part of the breast reduces the area at risk for breast cancer.
If I already made the decision to have a breast reduction; what should I do…
First of all, you are looking for a certified plastic surgeon, in the Mexican Association of Plastic, Aesthetic and Reconstructive Surgery, A.C. (AMCPER) you will be able to meet some recognized doctors who will give you the best assessment so that you are safe at any time during this procedure, such as Dr. Lázaro Cárdenas Camarena.
During the first consultation, the surgeon evaluates the size and shape of the breasts, the firmness of the skin and the general state of health of the patient. A breast examination will also be performed and in some cases a mammographic study will be requested. The different surgical techniques will be explained to the patient, the size and shape of her breasts will be discussed, and the options or combination of procedures that are best for the patient will be discussed.
The patient must expose her expectations in a sincere and frank way, so that the surgeon can offer the available alternatives for her problem, with the risks and limitations of each one of them. The type of anesthesia to be used, the need or not to enter the clinic where the surgery is performed, and the costs of the intervention will also be explained to you.
The patient should indicate if she is a smoker or takes any medication or vitamin, the number of previous pregnancies and if she plans to become pregnant again or breastfeed. All doubts should be consulted, especially those related to expectations about results.
Take these tips into account before surgery:
- Avoid tobacco, it can bring slow healing problems.
- Do not consume medicines or foods that can alter blood clotting, at least ten days before.
- Do a check-up before the operation to rule out hernias or other problems that may cause difficulties in the procedure.
How will the surgery be done?
Breast reduction surgery is performed through incisions in your breasts with the surgical removal of excess fat, glandular tissue, and skin. In some cases, excess fat can be removed by liposuction in conjunction with the excision techniques described below.
The technique used to reduce the size of your breasts will be determined for each individual patient, the composition of the breast, the amount of reduction desired, personal preferences and the advice of the surgeon.
- Anesthesia – Medications are given for your comfort during breast reduction surgery. Options include IV sedation and general anesthesia.
- The incision: Incision options include: a circular pattern around the areola in which case the incision lines that remain are visible and permanent scars, although generally well hidden under a bathing suit or bra. Another possible shape is a keyhole or racket-shaped pattern with an incision around the areola and vertically up to the breast crease, or also an inverted T or anchor-shaped pattern.
- Tissue removal and repositioning: After the incision the nipple is repositioned and the areola is reduced by excision of the skin at the perimeter, if necessary. The underlying breast tissue shrinks, rises, and forms.
- Closure of the incisions: The incisions are brought together to reshape the breast. The incision lines are permanent, but in most cases they fade and improve significantly over time.
- The Results: Over time, the postsurgical inflammation will resolve and the incision lines will fade. Satisfaction with your new image should continue to grow as you recover; The incision is always the smallest possible. When it is done at the edge of the areola, it is concealed by the roughness of the tissue itself and the change in color, after a very few months.
If the incision is made vertical or in the shape of an inverted ‘T’, it remains visible, although trace minimization techniques are used, specific to cosmetic surgery, so that the scar is humanized (it narrows and acquires the color of the rest of the surrounding skin) within about six months.
The reduction is effective from the day of the intervention, but the final result is not consolidated until after a period of between three and eight months, which is the time it usually takes for the breast to settle into its final shape.
After breast surgery it is normal to feel somewhat tired for a few days, but you will be able to live almost normal life after 24-48 hours. Most of the discomfort is well controlled with the medication prescribed by the surgeon, although the breasts may hurt for a couple of weeks. The first menstruation after a reduction can make the breasts swell and hurt. The bandage or dressings will be removed in a few days and replaced with a special bra, which you must wear as your surgeon indicates. It is normal to have a burning sensation in the nipples for the first two weeks.
It may be normal to have decreased sensation in the nipples; this situation is generally temporary, except in some reductions that can be definitive. The stitches are removed between 7 and 14 days; edema does not completely subside until 3 to 6 weeks.
The patient will be able to return to work in 2 or 3 weeks, although in a few days she will be able to lead an almost normal life. She must limit strong physical activities for a few weeks, until she recovers from the operation. During 1 or 2 weeks it is advisable to avoid sexual intercourse so that the incisions do not become inflamed; for 3 to 4 weeks avoid intense physical contact of the breasts. It is normal for small scabs or a little fluid to appear through the incisions. The plastic surgeon must see the patient during the months following the surgery to see the evolution. If she has any discomfort between visits or any doubts about what she should or should not do, the patient should contact her doctor.
Are there risks? Are there guarantees?
Breast reduction surgery is a safe technique, as long as it is performed by a qualified plastic surgeon. However, as in any operation, there can always be complications and associated risks.
Breast reduction leaves permanent and visible scars, although they can be hidden under a bra or bikini. Scarring problems are more common in smokers. Some patients may experience a partial and sometimes total decrease in nipple sensitivity. After a reduction, the ability to breastfeed may be affected
Some celebrities who performed this procedure:
Anne maintained a somewhat prominent bust for several years, and although she never had surgery confirmed, she later showed a smaller bust.
Victoria is a clear example of the rejection of silicone prostheses. Her past from her spice girl was left behind and she currently looks like a sophisticated lady. She regretted her implants and underwent surgery to remove them.
She never confirmed it, but the suspicions of the decline in front of her speak for themselves. Although her curvy figure was too attractive and broke the stereotype of extreme Hollywood thinness, the actress chose to look slimmer. Everything is for health reasons.
After her breakup with Tom Cruise she changed radically, she got implants and became fond of botox. She has increased and reduced the size of her bust, thanks to her scalpel.